I got my Bachelors of Science from University of Pennsylvania in EE and CIS in 2013. At UPenn, my undergrad research advsior was André DeHon, and I also worked closely with Johnathan Smith and Boon Thau Loo. I graduated UPenn with summa cum laude, and received the Atwater Kent Prize in Electrical Engineering and the Hugo Otto Wolf Memorial Prize for Computer and Information Science. I started my PhD. at MIT in 2013 in Computer Science. I was the recipient of Shillman Fellowship in my first year. I recently finished on my Master's thesis, which is on efficient anonymous communication.
Currently, my research focuses on privacy, especially anonymity. A few questions of interest to me are:
- How can we guarantee freedom of speech online and protect everyone's privacy?
- How do we scale strong anonymity?
- How do we hold people accountable for their actions if everyone is anonymous?
- How do we establish trust if everyone is anonymous?
- Spacemint: A Cryptocurrency Based on Proofs of Space; Sunoo Park, Krzysztof Pietrzak, Albert Kwon, Joel Alwen, Georg Fuchsbauer, and Peter Gazi; (prototype)
- Riffle: Efficient Communication System with Strong Anonymity; Albert Kwon, David Lazar, Srini Devadas, Bryan Ford; to appear in PETS, 2016 (prototype)
- Circuit Fingerprinting Attacks: Passive Deanonymization of Tor Hidden Services; Albert Kwon, Mashael Saad Al-Sabah, David Lazar, Srini Devadas; USENIX Security, 2015 (data set)
I enjoy teaching computer science quite a bit, and have been part of several classes as a TA. Here's a list of classes I've helped teach at MIT and UPenn.
- 6.858: Computer Systems Security (Fall 2015)
- 6.046: Introduction to Algorithms (Spring 2015)
- CIS320: Introduction to Algorithms (Spring 2013)
- CIS380: Operating Systems (Fall 2012)
- CIS240: Introduction to Computing Systems (Fall 2011)
- CIS192: Python Programming (Spring 2011)
When I'm not working, I spend majority of my time with my other half. When I'm not spending time with her, I'm usually part taking in one of my less productive hobbies. They include:
- Video games
- Board games
- Super hero movies and TV shows